“I’ll do it later”
“I don’t feel like making that decision right now”
“I don’t have time to that”
We often hear such things and even say them. There is almost no human who does not do this, at least once. All of us relate to it, and we often question, why is it so, how to cure it. This is a piece of good news for you. What follows next is an interesting read for you to know all the necessaries about Procrastinating. Try not to procrastinate this.
What is Procrastination?
Procrastination literally means deferring something to a later time. Simply being stated, it is the act of postponing an act or its forbearance. For instance, you read this article, up till here, and you decided to continue the rest of it, sometime later. Here, you procrastinated your reading due to some reason.
In general sense, procrastination is a negative trait. It leaves work incomplete in the short run and retards one’s growth in the long term. One always needs to deliberately put in efforts, to prevent procrastinating.
Why do we Procrastinate?
There are a lot of different theories, given by different psychologists, relating to procrastination and its causes. Some refer to it as a disease, while others call it a mere psychological modal state.
Many argue that it is all about being strong-willed and determined towards something you wish to achieve or complete. They think that procrastination is nothing but a lazy mannerism. However, there are others who believe that procrastination is an inevitable state of mind, which needs to be cured by cautious behavior.
One of the theories states that procrastination happens due to two things: dispiriting and/or deterring. Either of them could be caused by external or internal factors. When we decide to do something, sometimes, our desire to perform that task is obstructed by dispiriting thoughts, like that of failure or embarrassment. Or else, we could be deterred by other conditions like a distraction or poor health. Owing to such circumstances, we could not bring ourselves to complete that task, and procrastinate it. Such deterrence or dispiriting must be effectively cured if one desires to stop procrastinating.
4 steps to avoid Procrastination
After knowing why do we procrastinate, one is always interested in finding ways to avoid it. There is no guaranteed procedure to do that. Although, these are general steps that can be followed in an attempt to do so.
- First step needs to be identification. One needs to identify what s/he has been procrastinating, and what it means. Identifying the target and understanding its implications helps as a motivation towards completion.
- Next comes the reasoning. It needs to be figured out, what is the reason behind your procrastination. Once the reason is known, it is easy to work on that towards its cure.
- After that, one needs to find out the possible solutions in order to stop that procrastination, based on the reason behind it. For say, you are procrastinating because you are distracted with something. The possible solution for this could be to avoid that distraction.
- Lastly, work on it. To end procrastinating once and for all, do what you decided. Like, to avoid distraction, you can change your own surroundings to not encounter that distraction, for the time being.
Ps to be followed to reduce Procrastinating
Here are some practices enumerated, which should be followed to avoid procrastinating in day-to-day life. There is no particular order to practice them.
- Piece down your load: divide your workload in small doable tasks and perform it one by one.
- Prioritize your work: arrange the tasks to be done, based on how urgent they are and focus on the most urgent ones first.
- Pick your habits wisely: try to not engage in distracting activities, and focus your attention on productive ones.
- Peacefully work: engage in calm working environment, and try not to participate in negative work culture.
- Prepare, not procrastinate: get ready beforehand for all the things that needs to be done to achieve the ultimate goal.
Types of Procrastinators
There are generally four types of procrastinators. Try not to become any of them, and work towards your objective with utmost efficiency.
- The ones who wait for the deadline: such people delay their tasks till the time it could not be delayed anymore and complete that in a rush at the last moment. They don’t usually produce competent results and compromise with the quality of work.
- The ones who excuse it away: these people always have some or the other reason to not do the task. They don’t turn in the required results, and even if they do, it is already too late.
- The ones who already has a lot to do: they are the people who have their plates so filled, that they couldn’t take any more. They often underperform in their assigned work and give unsatisfactory output.
- The ones who underestimate: the people who undermines the worth or importance of a task belongs here. They don’t make it to completion of the work, generally, as they side-line it for other work.
Do not open these websites if you Procrastinators
Procrastination is a tendency to delay. It cannot be brought to a stop at an instant. Though, it can be reduced with regular efforts. There could be a million reasons to why do humans procrastinate. Each person has a different psychology and power to perceive things in a diverse manner. There can not be one answer as to why we procrastinate or how to stop procrastination. This works in a very personalized custom. There can be a slight similarity, but no case could be the same as another. A hit and trial technique should be used and percept what works best for us. Check other blogs too. Thanks for Reading.
I am always open to book recommendations and writing advice.